“Gomes’ authentic voice and the formidable guitar chops place him in the forefront of modern blues.”
- Blues Music Magazine
Anthony Gomes, #1 Billboard Blues Artist, is a triple threat force as a guitarist, vocalist and songwriter. This, along with his high-energy shows and dynamic stage presence, make him one of the top draws on the Rock/Blues circuit today.
Gomes’ new record Peace, Love & Loud Guitars, named Best Blues Album of 2018 by Blues Rock Review and SoundGuardian Magazine, is the culmination of a life spent honoring Blues traditions while never losing sight of his own identity. The Toronto born guitar slinger stands his ground as a creative artist and is eager to push the Blues back into the mainstream.
“My goal is to keep the Blues fresh, exciting and even dangerous," says Gomes. "I want to bring back the thrill longtime Bluesmen created in their day. At the same time, I think it’s very important for the music to grow and evolve.
”He has performed with the likes of B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Robert Plant, Heart, Sammy Hagar, .38 Special, Jonny Lang, Robert Cray and Kenny Wayne Shepherd. Gomes recalled a conversation he had years ago with one of those legends. “B.B. King told me the Blues are like the laws of the land. They need to be amended to the times we live in,” Gomes said. “As an artist, it's very exciting to think that the Blues can be just as ground-breaking today as it ever was.
"Believing that music can inspire the human spirit, Anthony founded the Music Is the Medicine Foundation in 2010. This non-profit organization is dedicated to changing the lives of others through the healing power of music.
Anthony Gomes has nothing left to prove while leaving all his passion on the table. Nonetheless, he continues striving to not only find the legendary “lost chord,” but the ultimate combinations of words, notes and performance. Looking for an actual 21st Century guitar hero? Here he is.
• 'Best Blues Guitarist of 2019' Nominee in Guitar World Magazine Poll.
• Peace, Love & Loud Guitars (2018) hits #1 on iTunes Blues Chart and Amazon's New Release Blues Chart.
• Peace, Love & Loud Guitars named #1 Album of 2018 by Blues Rock Review and Soundguardian Magazine.
• Peace, Love & Loud Guitars named a Top Album of 2018 by RockTimes, Rock and Blues Muse and BluesFan.com.
• Best Musician/Live Performance Winner at the 2017 European Blues Awards.
• Performed and demoed the first 3D Printed electric guitar for the BASF company (2018).
• Gomes’ song “Love Sweet Love” hits 4 million plays on Spotify. Relix magazine picked the song from over 40,000 submissions in their song competition and included the track on their CD sampler.
• Music Is The Medicine Foundation, a national 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization, was founded in 2010 by Anthony to positively impact the lives of others through the healing power of music. Since its inception, MITM has directly helped children with cancer, young adults with Autism and war veterans with PTSD. It has funded songwriting scholarships, offered musical education programs and donated musical instruments. In addition to private donations, MITM has been awarded grants from State Farm Insurance and CVS Pharmacy.
• Named one of the "Top 10 Guitarists in the World” by Music Tasters Choice (2012).
• Nominated for “Electric Artist of the Year” at the Canadian Maple Blues Awards (2016, 2013).
• Gomes is an award winning blues history scholar, earning the University of Toronto’s C.P. Stacey Award for the highest overall academic grade point average by a history major. Anthony completed his master’s degree thesis on the racial and cultural evolution of blues music, graduating from Canada’s top university with high distinction.
• 6 of Anthony’s most recent electric albums have appeared in the top 10 on Billboard’s Blues Chart, including LIVE (2008) which debuted at #1.
• Anthony’s book, “The Black and White of Blues,” was nominated for “Best Book of 2014” by Blues 411.
• Gomes has performed in 17 countries and has opened for B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Robert Plant, Joe Bonamassa, Heart, Jonny Lang, Sammy Hagar, 38 Special, Robert Cray, Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Gretchen Wilson.
• Eric Clapton, Morgan Freeman, John Goodman, Toby Keith, Jonny Lang, Ron White, Tim Robbins, Travis Tritt and Vince Vaughn have attended Gomes’ concerts.
“Hendrix on crank guitar phrasing... all the soul of Otis Redding and the swagger of Steven Tyler. Anthony joyfully blends the distinction between blues and rock.”
Blues Rock Review
“His new album, Peace Love & Loud Guitars, continues that message with big tones and is a call to bring people together... equal parts down home blues and hard rock, it's the finest album of his career.”
“A very talented guitarist... and where did that voice come from?”
"Gomes takes modern blues way beyond the established points and sets the new high water mark for the genre. Gomes’ blues rock hits the heights and delights. Killer stuff."
“Anthony Gomes is a serious mojo mofo.”
“Peace, Love & Loud Guitars showcases Gomes’ inventiveness, his true to the song character and his deep rock and blues guitar heritage... laying sound over sound and riff over riff until it becomes a multi-layered sound castle.”
Living Blues Magazine
“Trademark mesmeric guitar riffs and incendiary solos, a serious student of the blues...”
Music Is The Medicine Foundation, a national 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization, was founded in 2010 by Anthony Gomes to positively impact the lives of others through the healing power of music.
Since its inception, MITM has directly helped children with cancer, young adults with Autism and war veterans with PTSD. It has funded songwriting scholarships, offered musical education programs and donated musical instruments.
In addition to private donations, MITM has been awarded grants from State Farm Insurance and CVS Pharmacy as well as patnering with Apple, St. Jude's Children's Hospital, Once Upon A String and Six String Heroes. Today, MITM's social media reach spans 46 countries and 26 languages.